Whew, this weekend has been a whirlwind, but here is an update on us.
We were scheduled for ear tube surgery bright and early at 7am on Friday. My dad came to stay with Lola, and after a quick coffee stop we checked into the Surgery Center. Everyone was really helpful and nice and explained the ease of the procedure and that we should be in and out in about an hour or so. We left Greta with a very nice nurse and sat in the waiting room for less than 10 minutes, and were soon with Greta in recovery. I guess everyone kept telling me how easy the surgery was and how it was no big deal, so I was NOT prepared for what came next. Greta has always been very mild mannered and easy going. She never cries for more than a few minutes, even when she falls down and hurts herself pretty badly. So when the nurse brought her to me and told me she was "torqued", I thought she was probably just wanting a bottle and would be fine. I was not prepared for a screaming/hysterical baby that could not be comforted. She only drank half her bottle and then she continued arching her back and screaming. Plus there was bloody pus draining from her left ear. (the doctor explained she had fluid build up and that the tubes were draining it). Finally after 20 minutes of this, we decided that maybe she would fall asleep once we got in the car and started moving. So we strapped her in and left. Thankfully she did fall asleep a few minutes after we got on the road. Once we got home, we hung out in the car in the garage, just because we didn't want to wake her. After 10 minutes we decided we couldn't hang out in the garage all day and took her inside. Unfortunately when we took her out of the car seat, she woke up and the screaming and fussing continued. Inside I sat with her on the couch and finally coaxed her back to sleep. She slept hard for an hour and a half and would have been longer, if I didn't have to transfer her to Corey so I could use the bathroom. (darn that coffee stop!) After that she was up for longer, and moving around a bit, much less crabby. She was still irritable, but no longer irate. She played on the floor, ate lunch and then when Lola came home, went down for a 2 hour nap. When she woke up, she was back to her old self. She was even more happy the next day. I think the surgery was a success and it is good to see her smiling almost ALL the time! :) (Except of course when we have to put drops in her ears. Then we usually get another short, but intense scream fest)
On the other hand, potty training has been much less dramatic. Lola is doing well and learning quickly. We had two accidents on Friday, but I believe it was because of the surgery and a very altered schedule. Other than that, she is catching on and doing a good job. She still hasn't learned to tell me when she needs to go, but I am hoping it will come with time. I do admit, it certainly is nice only having to change one set of diapers a day, and doing diaper laundry every 2 or 3 days is something I could definitely get used to. She is currently napping in big girl underwear (no pull-up) and I'm hoping she'll stay dry. One step at a time!
On Friday our cell phone service switched and I was told that we are only allowed 300 text messages a month now. Curious, I checked what I had been sending in previous months. W-O-W. Over 1400 text messages a month. I am in trouble. yikes. So those of you that I frequently text, will probably start seeing more emails from me instead of texts (now that I have data). Here's hoping I can keep it under control.
Well the weather seems to finally come around, after days of clouds. Hoping after nap, I can get the girls outside to enjoy it! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment