Sunday, July 31, 2011

We survived (just barely)

Well I am happy to report that Corey made it home (looking like Grizzly Adams none the less) and we made it through our week without him. But just barely. If you are on facebook you might know that Lola started vomiting early Thursday morning and pretty much chaos ensued. Here's how it went...

Early Thursday morning probably about 3:00 a.m. Lola started wailing about her stomache hurting. At this point I am pretty sure my half of ambien had long since worn off, so I went up and asked her what was wrong. She said she was hungry, so I brought her some cheez-its (cheez-its when your stomach hurts? This makes me question if the drugs were still somewhat lingering..;) anyway she took the crackers and laid back down, but was awake and tossing for about an hour. I finally fell back to sleep around 5:15, she was out maybe by 4:00.  About 6:00 a.m. I was jolted awake by horrid screaming. I honestly thought the house was burning down, by the octave and frequency of the screams. I didn't even check the video monitor, I just bolted upstairs into Lola's room. By the time I opened her door, I could smell what had happened. Lola cried " I spit up! I spit up in my jammies and my hair!" She had indeed. I put her in the bath and ran all the sheets, blankies and jammies to the washer. Then cleaned her up. I sat her on the couch and turned on the t.v. and got her some juice. At this point I am thinking about our trip to the Zoo that was scheduled in a few short hours, and wondering if she had just eaten something at the DQ the night before that didn't agree with her. (I was trying to let loose a little bit, and let her order a cherry arctic rush, that she barely drank and 1/8th of). She took a small sip of juice and laid down. Less than 2 minutes later she screamed that her tummy hurt and I got a bucket. All morning long if she ate or drank anything, it came back up within less than 5 minutes :(.  By this point I started getting scared, this definitely wasn't just a too much sugar or a food issue. Every time that we had been to the doctor in the last 2 months regarding her impacted stools, the doctor had asked me if she has been throwing up. I had always been able to answer no and he had always been relieved. If you google constipation and throwing up, it will send you into a panic. Apparently if you are backed up AND throwing up, it means you are so blocked that food isn't really even being put into your system and it is DANGEROUS. I of course start panicking. Of course this would happen when Corey is gone. I even told him before he left (Kenzie as my witness) " I have a bad feeling about this". I called the doctor office first thing at 8 a.m. and my doctor had an opening at 8:40. My mom came to watch Greta (who was still sleeping) and we headed in. Probably one of the worst moments was when we were in the van going to the doctor and Lola asked me where we were going. I explained that we were going to Dr. Tony to find out why she was spitting up. Then she started heaving all over herself and in between gasps she said "Hurry Mommy HURRY!" :( It just broke my heart, and of course being that I was driving and she is still in a rear facing carseat, I had no idea what exactly was going on. I kept asking her if she was o.k. and she kept replying in a pout "NO I spit up!". Poor thing. We got to the doctor and after reevaluating her xray and an examination the doctor announced she just had a stomach virus. I started to cry. I am not sure if it was pure relief or just frustration that I had gotten worked up about nothing, but it was still embarrassing. Anyway, we left the doctor office and went home. She continued to throw up until about noon. After nap she ate a few chicken nuggets and everything was good until bedtime. Around 7pm she started doing her whole screaming, it hurts, I have to go potty routine. I hauled her in and out of the bathroom a few times until about 9 o'clock when I finally told her that she HAD to sit on the potty for more than 15 seconds to see if she could go. She started working herself up and getting really emotional. I rubbed her tummy a little bit and she jumped off the potty and puked up all over me and the floor and her Ariel dress jammies (her favorite). I am not a person who throws up very often, so I am not well versed in the process for the whole thing. My first thought is usually how gross it must feel to be sitting in it. So I started to pull her dress jammies over her head. BAD. IDEA. She wasn't done puking and when the dress was stuck right on her head she threw up again. Unfortunately this meant that the puke got up in her nose and all over her hair again. Well my self-proclaimed "princess" completed freaked out about that. I put her in the bath again, but she was almost hyperventilating she was so upset. Finally we got her cleaned up and after a Popsicle she went to bed and fell asleep. Unfortunately, very early the next morning I woke up sick. I never threw up, but I felt awful. The day dragged on forever and I was horribly glad when it was over. The good part? Greta never got it! Sadly my mom did :(.

Anyway we survived the weekend, the puking and all, and are hopefully all over it and healthy for the rest of the summer. (not counting the potty issues that continue) On a side-note, I declared to Corey that he isn't allowed to leave us and be un-reachable for that many days in a row anymore. I am happy for him to spend time with guys and know that he really enjoys camping and "roughing it", but I don't think I can handle the stress. When Lola was throwing up Thursday morning and I thought it was related to the impaction, I honestly thought that she was probably going to need surgery and there was no way to contact Corey. Ugh, the thought of it even now, makes my heart sink. Oh well, at least I have a whole 'nother year before he goes again!

No comments: