Sunday, January 23, 2011

January Cold

I can't believe how cold it is. It's cold. Minnesota cold. brrrr.
I am so thankful that I don't have to leave the house very often because it hurts to be this cold. Thankfully tomorrow is forecasted to be a balmy 23 degrees (yep, above zero, wahooo!)

So things have been busy in the Nelson household the past few weeks. We have had some overnight visitors, my parents kittens, for the last week. They are pretty good house guests, but one can safely say 2 kids and 4 cats, is too much. I can't walk anywhere without tripping over a toy, a cat, or a on-the-go Greta. 

That's right! Greta is crawling. I should put quotations around the word because it appears more that she is doing the worm. Whatever it is, it is certainly getting her from point A to point B. She pushes up on her hands and pulls herself forward, kind of dragging her useless legs behind her ;) every once in a while she will put her toes down and shove herself forward that way. It is very cute, but I imagine it takes probably twice the energy and strength to execute. It's a new challenge to try to keep small kitty toys and anything paper out of her reach. Lola is very disappointed that she can no longer just move her toys a foot away and keep them to herself. Though it certainly didn't take long for her to understand that she can put them up, and keep them safe ;).

Lola and Greta have been roommates for 2 weeks now. It has been so fun in the morning to walk into their room and hear their giggles and see them playing together. That is the whole reason we have them sharing a room, to help that sisterly bond ;). However, last night, Greta woke up at midnight SCREAMING (probably about 2 minutes after I had fallen asleep). I went upstairs to put her pacifier back in, but she wouldn't calm down. I tried everything to keep her quiet  but ended up taking her out of the room and rocking her outside. She was immediately quiet. I came back in the room to lay her down and the second her head hit the mattress she was bawling again. She made such a racket that it in turn woke Lola up. So Corey came upstairs to comfort her, while I tried to get Greta to calm down. We were able to quiet Lola but Greta was still upset, so we brought her downstairs with us. She finally passed out in our bed at about 1 am. She spent the night in her pack and play, but was up every 2 hours or more. We decided to be on the safe side, and are having her sleep downstairs tonight - Corey has class Mondays and needs his sleep.  Our best guess is that she might be teething, so tonight we administered Orajel and Tylenol and are crossing our fingers. Wish us luck!

Lola was definitely affected by the midnight wakening. She probably had about 5 or more time-outs today; for offenses such as screaming, whining, pushing and being just plain mean. She was also very upset that we didn't have any milk in the house. Our doctor allowed us to give her up to 24 oz a day to see how she handles it. We have only given her about 16 oz so far, but it seems to be doing just fine. I usually give it to her right after her nap, so that it doesn't interfere with her appetite for dinner. She is still eating quite a lot and if I don't keep on top of it, she will get incredibly hungry and cranky. Its has become a habit for me to offer her food the moment she starts a tantrum.

Lola is really doing well at the potty. She still doesn't understand what the feeling of having to go is like, but if I ask her to go, she'll happily go in and sit down to earn a Dora sticker for her potty chart. Some days she wants to sit more times than others, but I am happy with the progress and can't wait for the days of not having to wash so many diapers!

Lola has become a princess fanatic in the last few weeks. She loves to watch Snow White and Tinkerbell and puts her costumes on at least once a day. I am glad she enjoys dressing up, but I wish she would save the costumes for herself. Most days you can find me vacuuming or dusting in a tiara or cowboy hat ;) (who am I kidding, I don't dust...) The cats and Greta aren't spared either, but we all try to be good sports.

My princess-pie!

No comments: