I haven't written a post in awhile and truth be told it's because life has been pretty uneventful. In fact, this post isn't even going to be about me. Well, ok, it's still a little bit about me (of course!).
So anyway I have this friend that we shall name "B". ( name protected because not everyone wants to be a blog star ;) She was expecting a baby and I was her babysitter for her older child if she were to go into labor in the middle of the night. B's due date was labor day, just like mine with Lola! There wasn't much progress happening earlier in the week, so I was ready, but not too hyped up. (yet!)
Monday night, Corey and I were in bed, playing Bingo ( that's not cryptic language for something else, we are just THAT dorky). I had just cracked open a bag of pretzels to munch on, when my cell phone rang. "who could be calling so late?" Corey exclaimed. I fairy leaped off the bed toward the phone and yelled "it's B!!! I bet!"
I snatched my phone up and answered. It wasn't B. It was B's husband (duh).
He calmly explained her contractions were such and such and they were thinking of going in to get checked. "I'll be right there!" I yelled, or possibly I just screamed BLAURGHYCH!!!!" but either way he got my drift and we hung up. You can tell he is employed in the medical field, as he was all facts and completely calm. I dashed into my closet and grabbed a pair of black yoga pants, and ran back into the bedroom. I changed from my current pair of black yoga pants to a different pair, grabbed my book and my cell phone, while (I think) explaining to Corey where I was going. I then threw the phone, book and the iPad into a bag and changed my yoga pants again (why... I don't know, I think I actually did this 3 times!!) I grabbed my favorite blanket and headed out the door. I got into my van, hit the garage door opener, started the car and backed out of the garage...INTO the garage door! Crunch. I didn't look before I pulled out and the garage door hadn't gone up yet. Oops!
I just want to give a quick shout out to all the Dads out there who safely calmly and wonderfully escort their laboring wives to the hospital without getting in car accidents, freaking out completely or breaking the law. I'm not going to admit or deny doing any of those things, but I arrived at B's in record time. :)
B and her husband were super organized and calm. I felt like a little yappy chiauau around two calm collected border collies. B gave me some instructions in between contractions, where she leaned against a piece of furniture and breathed calmly. B's husband gave me instructions on how to use the TV remote (which I totally should have paid more attention to) and the Wifi password. ( seriously!! Talk about calm and collected. My brain was hopping all over the place, trying to remember if I shut the door when I left the house, and wondering why I was wearing my running yoga pants instead of my comfy pants???) B and husband left quietly and I bounced around on the coach awhile before settling into my book. CLANG!!! I then jumped about 16 feet in the air from a text message I received. B texted that they were checked in and staying, so I snuggled in and tried (unsuccessfully) to calm myself a little bit. Three hours later, eyes as big as saucers, I'm still wired and bouncy. I decide to check my phone quick to make sure it's still actually working and lo and behold I have a text message! Somehow in my hyperactivity, I manage to turn my volume off. B had her baby an hour ago! Woot! After learning all are healthy and well, I snuggle in to try to get some sleep. I toss and turn all night , dreaming about babies and nurseries and obgyns, and finally morning comes! I think I got more sleep after being in labor with Greta!
I have a lesson learned from this lovely story, and it is ... Check your review mirror. :)
I have yet to tell Corey about the garage door... so honey, when you read this, or someone mentions it to you in passing, thank you for putting up with my yapping. Also, for being the calm, collected driver when I need you!
Muah!

1 comment:
That is a wonderful story, and an even better picture! Ha ha ha! Glad I could provide for such fun ;-)
Post a Comment